I got to thinking about this when I was working on a new blog entry, so I decided that I needed to know can dogs eat watermelon safely because my dog managed to find a left over piece of melon. It turned out that watermelon is safe for dogs, but that is not the entire story. They say that you should only let the dog have the flesh of the melon, meaning that you have to remove the seeds and the rind. That is not so much trouble for some people I suppose, but it is obviously not a thing that most people would do. I suppose that you could process the flesh some way or another to remove the seeds. However it is just not so easy that I would consider doing it if I had a choice and obviously I have all the choice in the world in that matter. People know to spit the seeds out, but dogs do not and it says they can cause all sorts of problems.
That is apparently one of the bigger problems with foods that dogs should not eat. It is not always that they are poisonous, but instead it is not possible for the dog to process the food and that leads to a lot of trouble. Usually the dog will vomit or it will poop in the most unpleasant way possible. At any rate you need to know what you can give a dog and what you can not give a dog. A raisin or a grape is a particularly nasty thing to dogs in fact. They can cause kidney failure in dogs and all sorts of things that are very nearly as serious. In fact berries and cantaloupe are both really good treats for a dog it seems.